Friday, December 14, 2007

Golf and travel -- it's a beautiful thing!

Although I have subscribed to Golf for Women magazine for several years now, I just recently woke up to the fact that there are wonderful articles about travel in each issue!
This month (Jan/Feb) one of my favorites is called Personal Paradises. It is a compilation of “favorites” from some women who play golf but are not necessarily golf pros. Actress Cheryl Ladd, singers Anne Murray and Belinda Carlisle and cosmetics guru Bobbi Brown are just a few that fit in that category.
The article that actually caught my eye to start with was called “20 Tips for the perfect trip”, but when I read it I was a little underwhelmed at Stina Sternberg’s 20 golf travel “secrets”. None were anything I didn’t already know and recommend to my clients but, hey, she has to come up with an article each month so if her tips help one person, it’s worthwhile!
So what is my Personal Paradise, you may ask? Well, the highlight of my golf experience was the two times I got to play in a tournament at Pinehurst (along with one other time when I served as “hostess” for a city club team. Each time, I was the “D” player on the team and I each time I was the only female.
On a drizzly morning of the second year (which was the year after Payne Stewart’s victory there then his death the same year), I was walking up the 18th fairway to the green. Our team had all shot the green but the closest ball in the scramble was 50 feet from the pin! As I walked along in the peaceful drizzle, the church bells from the village began to play “Just As I Am”. Tears came to my eyes as I heard that wonderful hymn and caught sight of the statue of Stewart next to the green.
It was my turn at bat first on this hole and I could barely compose myself, but I lined up, took the putt AND MADE IT-- for birdie!!
This was truly my 30 seconds of fame in golf!

No comments: