Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Jet Blue

Came across this in my daily e-mails and thought I'd pass it on. Thanks eTN and Dr. Garely!

There is Jet Blue – and Everyone Else
Courtesy of eTN, Dr. Elinor Garely
Have a choice? Take Jet Blue! There is a quantifiable difference between Jet Blue and almost every other US airline and the differentiation starts with the reservation system, extends through the in-flight experience and crests at luggage retrieval. The Jet Blue folks have got the system as close to “right” as any US carrier I have recently experienced.

The on-line technology is user-friendly and almost intuitive. Can’t find the right link? A call to the 800 number representative delivers quick and pleasant instructions; no patronizing tone, no “too busy to deal with your stupid question,” just a clear, precise staffer who asks the right questions and moves the issue to resolution.

Back on the site, instructions steer me to finding flight information and seat selection, payment options, confirmation instructions and print-out guidelines. The extra-goody is the Jet Blue follow-up. The day before flight departure, an email arrived at my inbox, reminding me that I was flying Jet Blue the next day, asked me if I wanted to make any changes in the flight or seat selection. To review the flight time or seat location takes only a moment, and the software works effortlessly. No – I had no changes so I was processed through to a request for luggage information. Checking a bag? Click here. No bags? Another click. A quick print-out of my boarding pass and I was good to go.

Next day –I arrived at the Jet Blue terminal, slipped my credit card into the kiosk, pulled up flight information, checked out the departure gate – and that was it! Problem? Question? Jet Blue staff is eager to help – actually they are happy to help! Since there are so few problems they appear close to being bored. Jet Bluers’ remind me of the Maytag repairman advertisement that shows the guy sleeping, implying that since the appliance never breaks down there is nothing for the guy to do except sleep. At the moment, the Jet Blue system has so few “wrinkles” the major task of the airport employee is to be pleasant.

Onboard – the seats are cushy leather and almost large enough to be comfortable. Operationally, the cabin is a tribute to efficiency. From the first offer of liquid refreshment and the subsequent passage of garbage bags for the plastic toss, followed by the snack pass and the almost immediate garbage collection– passengers are almost programmed to “select” “eat” and “toss.”

Would I change the cabin experience? Yes! Take away the carbs, calories and salt, offer me something heart-healthy. With new packaging available, it should not be a “no-brainers” to offer fresh fruit and unprocessed cheese. I would also add sports drinks to the beverage list. Gatorade and Propel are much easier to digest (and healthier) than soft drinks and go a long way to stemming the queasy tummy feeling that is frequently part being in orbit.

Fast forward – and we are on the ground. Jet Blue understands the passengers’ need to “get out” at faster than light travels so- as the plane lands the doors are opened, and the cabin crew gets out of the way of the passengers as they stampede to daylight and the terminal. On many flights it seems that the cabin crew is first reading the training manual trying to figure out the best method for getting the doors opened, while the airport team stumbles over themselves getting the jet-way into position. The rush for luggage is also rewarded with a fast-tracked retrieval system. Before disbelief set I had my duffle in hand and was outside the terminal, looking for my car service.

Rarely do I find anything nice to say about an airline. The activity is not pleasant and short of teaming up with Captain Kirk and the Star Trek crew – I have no choice but to use an airplane for moving from A to B. Jet Blue was so good on my recent flight from New York to Anaheim that I think they should start a training program for all the other guys that are only pretending to run an airline company. To paraphrase Emeril Lagasse-- “Jet Blue Rules.”

No comments: